Services for adults of working age to support your mental health needs

For a printable pdf of this page click here


We commission a range of supported housing, employment and community based services for people with mental health problems across Wiltshire:


Wiltshire Community Housing Support provided by Richmond Fellowship

The Community Housing Support service is a specialist homelessness prevention service supporting people with mental health issues to self-manage, retain/sustain their tenancies, maintain wellbeing and play an active part in their community by providing a Skilling for Life programme which includes peer-led group and 1-to-1 sessions on matters such as money management skills, confidence and assertiveness training and paying rent and utility set-up.

The services supports people with social or private landlord tenancies, home owners, or people moving into starter tenancies from supported accommodation.

Contact page


Supported Housing

Wiltshire Council commissions a range of supported housing schemes for adults across Wiltshire. These provide temporary accommodation to allow people to continue their recovery and gain or re gain independent living skills. Referrals to these services come from people who are being discharged from hospital, are leaving residential care or are struggling to cope living in the community.

Wiltshire Recovery and Social Inclusion provided by Richmond Fellowship is a service to help improve the mental wellbeing of people living in Wiltshire. 

How they can help:

  • Community bridge building (1:1 and group support)
  • A range of outdoor and indoor based projects and activities
  • Peer mentoring and support
  • Employment advice and support
  • IT support

The service can support any person over the age of 18 who is at risk of, or experiencing social exclusion due to mental health problems living in Wiltshire (excluding Swindon) or is registered with a Wiltshire GP.

If you live in Wiltshire and would like support with your mental well-being or are a friend, relative or carer of someone who would and think that this service may be able to help please contact Richmond Fellowship for more information or an informal chat (Tel: 01380 724833)


Wiltshire Independent Advocacy Services – provided by Rethink

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA) - An IMHA is a specialist type of mental health advocate, granted specific roles and responsibilities under the Mental Health Act.

Contact Rethink's IMHA service


Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA) -  The purpose of the IMCA service is to help particularly vulnerable people who lack the capacity to make specific and important decisions about serious medical treatment and changes of accommodation, and who have no family or friends that it would be appropriate to consult about those decisions. IMCAs will work with and support people who lack capacity and represent their views to those who are working in their best interests.

Contact Rethink's IMCA service


Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (IMCA DoLS) - The DOLS IMCA service provides an advocate (also known as a Paid Representative) during the DOLS assessment and authorisation process, when there is nobody appropriate with whom to consult, other than people engaged in providing care or treatment for the relevant person in a professional capacity. The role of the paid Representative is to maintain contact with the individual, and to represent and support the individual in matters relating to, or connected with, the deprivation of liberty.


Care Act Advocacy - Statutory advocacy that meets the requirements of the Care Act 2014 and associated regulations in supporting people who would otherwise:

  • experience substantial difficulty in being fully involved in assessment, care and support planning, review and safeguarding processes;
  • and have no one appropriate or available to support and represent their wishes.

An independent advocate can help to:

  • assist people to understand the assessment, care and support planning and review processes;
  • assist people to communicate their views, wishes and feelings to the staff that are carrying out an assessment or developing a care or support plan or reviewing an existing plan.
  • assist people to understand how their needs can be met by the local authority or otherwise.
  • assist people to make decisions about their care and support arrangements or the arrangements of the person they care for.
  • assist people to understand their rights under the Care Act.
  • assist people to challenge decisions made by the local authority and where people cannot challenge the decision even with assistance, then to challenge it on their behalf.
  • make representations on behalf of any individual who is unable to do so.

Contact Rethink's Care Act Advocacy Service to find out if you are eligible for independent advocacy support


Generic Advocacy - This service is not a statutory service but provides an issue based independent generic advocacy service in Wiltshire. This service can help to empower individuals to access the information and services they need in order to improve their own health and well-being. The issues people may require advocacy for include:

  • welfare reform
  • benefits generally
  • finance
  • housing

This service is available to people resident in Wiltshire (excluding Swindon) or registered with a Wiltshire GP and are assessed as being in the greatest need of issue based advocacy. These will be people who

  • have significant difficulty advocating for themselves and cannot do so without assistance
  • are unable to advocate for themselves because, for example, a lack of capacity
  • have no one willing or appropriate to advocate on their behalf
  • Who are 18 years old and over

The person must be physically resident within Wiltshire at the time of the advocacy need.

Contact Wiltshire's Independent Advocacy Service

Contact details
Tel: 07484001862

Monday-Friday 9.00am -5.00pm


Residential care services

Wiltshire Council commissions an Approved Provider Accreditation Scheme for the provision of residential care within Wiltshire for people with complex mental health needs. These services are provided by quality providers who are able to demonstrate that they can provide the right support and environments to meet complex needs, whilst also maximizing customer’s independence.

Wiltshire Council’s intention is to only place people with the most complex mental health needs within a residential care setting. Individuals with mental health needs can and do recover. This may not mean clinical recovery but does mean being able to lead as full a life as possible.

This service is aimed at people with diagnosed and long term complex mental health needs who are aged between 18 years and 65 years of age, who require a specialist residential service to meet their needs.

Eligibility will be based upon a holistic assessment of an individual’s need as carried out by Wiltshire Council’s Adult Care teams. The assessment will be strengths-based and outcomes-focused.


NHS Complaints Advocacy – provided by SEAP

SEAP can support Wiltshire residents to make a formal complaint about the care or service they received from the NHS in England.

This includes all Health Services provided by the NHS: GPs and surgeries, hospitals, pharmacies, opticians, dentists and other health care practitioners. (But excludes private dentistry, cosmetic treatments and other treatments for which you paid the full price privately). You have a year after the event to lodge your complaint.

Visit the website.

Call them on 0300 3435733 



NHS Services - Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust is commissioned by the NHS Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) to provide secondary mental health services in Wiltshire including inpatient beds.

The trust provides specialist mental health services to people of all ages in Wiltshire and forensic mental health services across the wider area,

Staff work closely with GP practices, community pharmacies, children's centres, school charities, universities, voluntary groups and county council services to make sure patients get 'joined up' care.

Services are provided in specialist wards or in community hospitals or from within local communities to support people near or in their homes.

Most people are referred by their GP but they can also be referred by social services, housing departments, schools or the criminal justice system.


PALS provided by Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust

The Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) is a free, confidential and impartial service available to everyone who uses Trust services, their families, carers or anyone who needs advice, information, support or guidance with a particular issue.

Telephone: 01249 468261
Freephone: 0800 073 1778
Fax: 01249 468266


Wiltshire NHS Clinical Commissioning Group

The geographical area covered by NHS Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is that represented by the Wiltshire County boundary, and one Dorset practice, Sixpenny Handley.

NHS Wiltshire CCG is made up of 58 GP Practices within the three localities who work together to ensure the best possible healthcare is available and meets the needs of people in Wiltshire.  The three localities are:

Reviewed September 2017; Updated September 2017