Blue Badges

If you would like a downloadable PDF of this page please click here PDF Website

Blue badge and disabled parking signThis page contains information on the Blue Badge scheme

What is a Blue Badge?

A Blue Badge is for people who have severe difficulty walking and who drive regularly. It allows people to park near shops and offices and public buildings.

People who have difficulty using their arms and cannot use parking meters easily, or those who are registered blind, can also apply for a Blue Badge.

The Blue Badge allows holders to park for free on single and double yellow lines on most streets for three hours. Blue Badge holders can also use some pay and display car parks for free.

Some people qualify automatically for a Blue Badge but others may need to have their mobility assessed.

Each Blue Badge costs £10 and should be displayed on the car dashboard. The details should be clearly visible so it can be checked. The Blue Badge should be displayed with the expiry date upwards, but the photograph should not be displayed.

Qualifying for a Blue Badge

You will automatically get a Blue Badge if you:

  • receive the higher rate of mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance, or 8 points or more in the 'moving around' section of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • you receive the mobility supplement to the War Pension
  • you are registered blind or severely sight impaired
  • have been awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme AND are verified as having a permanent, substantial disability that makes walking difficult or impossible.

You may also qualify if you:

  • are over three years old and have a permanent and substantial disability, which means you are unable to walk or have considerable difficulty in walking
  • are applying on behalf of a child under three who has a specific condition that means they must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment or need quick access to transport to hospital or home
  • drive regularly and have a severe disability in both arms, making it difficult to use parking meters
  • are an organisation responsible for the care and transport of eligible people in registered disabled passenger vehicles or vehicles adapted to carry disabled people.

Please telephone the Blue Badge team on 01225 713002 if you need further advice on this application.

What about children?

If your child is less than three years old, he or she could be eligible for a Blue Badge if one of the following conditions applies.

  • They need to have heavy or awkward medical apparatus with them at all times.
  • They need to be close to the car so that medical treatment can be given inside if needed, or they can be taken quickly to somewhere where treatment can be administered.

Applying for or renewing a blue badge.

  • You can apply for or renew a Blue Badge online through GOV.UK.
  • You can complete this request form and we will post a full application pack to you.
  • Call the blue badge team on 01225 713002 for an application pack. We are open 8.30am – 5.30pm Monday to Friday.

Whether you apply online or by post, you need to send us the right paperwork to support your application. Without this we will not be able to start processing your application, your form will be returned to you, and your application will take much longer.

You will need to send us:

  • Proof of your identity– such as a copy of your birth or adoption certificate, marriage or divorce certificate, or valid driving licence or passport. This helps prevent fraudulent applications.
  • Proof of your address– a copy of your council tax or utility bill, a benefit award letter or letter from a hospital, addressed to you at your home, and dated within the last three months.
  • Copies of any other documentsand evidence we need to support your application. This will usual be a benefit entitlement letter or recent medical evidence to verify your level of disability.
  • A colour photothat meets passport standards with your name and postcode on the back. Passport photo requirements – GOV.UK
  • A cheque or postal orderfor £10 made payable to Wiltshire Council as payment for your badge. This will be returned to you if we decide you are not eligible.

You will find a list of all the documents you need to post us when you apply online, or in the guidance notes in the application pack. Post your supporting documents to:

Blue Badge Team
Customer Services
Wiltshire Council
County Hall
BA14 8JN

Provided we receive the right paperwork with your application, we aim to issue your badge within 20 working days.

Renewing your badge

You will need to renew your Blue Badge every three years. You will be issued with a reminder letter at least one month before your current badge is due to expire. If you do not receive this letter, please contact us to request an application pack. If you have changed your address within the last three years, please make sure we have been notified. It is an offence to use an expired badge for parking and you will receive a fine.

When you renew your badge you will need to complete another form, as each badge is treated as a new application. Just like a new application, you will need to send us proof of your identity and eligibility.

If you do not wish to renew your badge you do not need to take any action.

Applying on behalf of another person

You may complete an application on behalf of another person such as a parent, partner or other relative and you may sign the application on their behalf.

Please note: the application should always be made in the name of the disabled person. If they qualify, it will be their badge for use in any vehicle and so it is their details, photograph and supporting documents that we will need. This is also the case if you are applying for a badge for your child.

Lost, stolen or damaged Blue Badges

If your badge was lost please contact the Blue Badge team for a replacement on 01225 713002 or email

If your badge has been stolen, please report it to the police who will give you a crime reference number. You can then request a replacement Blue Badge by emailing or telephone us on 01225 713002.

You will need to provide another photograph for your replacement badge, as well as proof of your identity and address. Replacement badges are only issued for the period the first badge was valid for and will cost £10.

If your Blue Badge is so damaged or faded that the details on it cannot be seen clearly, you should contact us to arrange a replacement. You will need to provide proof of identity and address will also be charged £10 for a replacement.

Change the details on your Blue Badge

Change of address

If you have moved, changed your contact number or your email address please let us know so we can update our records. You can telephone us on 01225 713002 or email

If your new address is in another county and your badge has not expired, you can continue to use your current badge until it is no longer valid. Please advise your new local authority of your new address so that your details can be transferred over. When your badge expires you will need to re-apply to your new local authority.

Change of name

If you have married, separated, divorced or your name has changed for any other reason you will need a replacement badge in your new name. You can email or telephone us on 01225 713002 to tell us about your change of name and request a replacement badge. You will need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate, divorce certificate or deed poll document as evidence of your name change and you will be charged £10 for a replacement.

More Information