Equipment to support you at home

If you would like a downloadable PDF of this page please click here PDF Website

Equipment to help you live in your own homeThis page contains information on the different types of equipment that is available to help you live independently in your own home.


What equipment might help me?

  • Equipment such as bath boards and seats, non-slip mats and powered bath lifts can help you continue to get in and out of the bath by yourself.
  • Minor adaptations such as ramps and rails can help you get in and out of your home
  • Lever taps and adapted cooking utensils can help you in the kitchen particularly if you have weakness in your hands
  • Your chair or bed can be raised to help you get on and off

Where can I get advice on equipment?

Equipment is available from a number of mobility stores in Wiltshire and through online retailers. The Independent Living Centre in Semington provides impartial advice, assessment and demonstration of equipment at the centre, by appointment.

Our self help guide with Manage@home provides advice on equipment that may be suitable for you. Click here to answer a few questions and receive a report of possible solutions.  Get Started

Aster can arrange for minor adaptations in your home, such as putting a rail by the door or putting up an additional stair rail. Some housing associations are also able to help with minor adaptations for their tenants who have difficulties through disability.


Can I have an assessment by Wiltshire Council?

You can contact Wiltshire Council on 0300 456 0111 to discuss your difficulties carrying out daily activities, or if you are helping someone else to do things, such as:

  • Getting around your home
  • Getting in and out of a chair or bed
  • Getting in and out of the bath or shower
  • Getting on and off the toilet
  • Preparing food or drinks.

We may provide details of where you can obtain support. You may be offered an assessment by an occupational therapist or a customer coordinator to help identify the best solution for you and give you information and advice.

Following an assessment, you may be loaned equipment to support you.


Is there a charge for equipment and adaptations?

There is no charge for equipment and minor adaptations provided by Wiltshire Council. Larger adaptations, such as stairlifts and wet floor showers, may be provided via Disabled Facilities Grants that will require you to undertake a financial assessment.

If you prefer not to have the equipment the council offers as standard, you have the option to have the cost of the equipment as a direct payment. You can then use the money from the direct payment towards alternative equipment provided the council agrees that the equipment meets your needs.


I need to borrow equipment temporarily.

If you need to borrow equipment for a limited period, for example a wheelchair or commode for temporary use, or for visitors, this can be arranged through the Red Cross. Some local retailers may also offer equipment on hire. The Independent Living Centre has wheelchairs for hire, on a daily or weekly basis.

Page updated 6th April 2018