Adaptions to your home

If you would like a downloadable PDF of this page please click here PDF Website

Equipment to help you live in your own homeThis page contains information on the different types of equipment that is available to help you live independently in your own home.

Equipment in social care aims to support dailyliving and may include items such as raised toilet seats, bath aids and moving and handling equipment. Minor adaptations, such as fitting hand rails or ramps, may also be provided to support someone to live more independently.

Social care does not provide mobility aids such as walking sticks and three wheeled walkers.


What might help?

  • Equipment to help with bathing such as bath boards and seats, non-slip mats and powered bath lifts
  • Minor adaptations such as ramps and rails to help you get in and out of your home
  • Products for food preparation, such as lever taps and adapted cooking utensils
  • Products to help with the use of beds and chairs, such as bed raisers
  • Equipment loans for a limited period


Who provides equipment and minor adaptations?

Equipment is available from a number of mobility stores in Wiltshire and through online retailers. The Independent Living Centre in Semington provides impartial advice, assessment and demonstration of equipment at the centre, by appointment.

The Disabled Living Foundation offers an online impartial information and advice service about equipment called Living Made Easy.

Medequip in Calne are the current equipment supplier for health and social care in Wiltshire. They have a small shop and online store at Manage@Home. You can also use the Medequip self-help system to help you find the right equipment for you.

Assisted Living Handihelp can arrange for minor adaptations in your home, such as putting a rail by the door or putting up an additional stair rail. Some housing associations are also able to help with minor adaptations for their tenants who have difficulties through disability.


Adult social care, community health (NHS) services and hospital staff – who does what?

Joint health and social care teams based in hospitals work together to ensure you have appropriate services and equipment for returning home. If you have a short-term medical problem, or are waiting for an operation, your doctor will advise you on where you can get the equipment you need, and refer you to an NHS physiotherapist, occupational therapist or nurse.

A physiotherapist may work with you while you are in hospital, as an outpatient, or in your own home. You will be referred to them by your doctor or consultant. They will usually carry out an assessment and give you advice on exercises, treatment and how to alleviate symptoms to your particular condition or illness. If you need a walking aid, they will advise you on how to use it properly.

An occupational therapist will assess how your illness or disability is affecting your daily living. They will look at how you manage a range of practical activities such as dressing, cooking or bathing. They will then provide advice, equipment or treatment to enable you to become more independent. Occupational therapists will help you find solutions that you can use during your daily life.

Occupational therapists work in health community teams if you have a short term medical problem, and in social care if you have long term needs.


I would like an assessment by the council

You can contact the council to arrange an assessment if you have problems carrying out daily activities, or if you have difficulty in helping someone else do things, such as:

  • Getting around your home
  • Getting in and out of a chair or bed
  • Getting in and out of the bath or shower
  • Getting on and off the toilet
  • Preparing food or drinks.

If you feel you would benefit from equipment or minor adaptations please telephone our customer advisors on 0300 4560111. The customer advisor will ask you some questions and may provide details of where you can obtain support. You will be offered an assessment by an occupational therapist or a customer coordinator to help identify the best solution for you and give you information and advice.

Following assessment, you may be eligible for help from the council. If you need help because your difficulties arise from a hearing or sight disability, then our hearing and vision team may be able to assess your needs and help you.


Is there a charge for equipment and adaptations?

There is no charge for equipment and minor adaptations provided by Wiltshire Council. Larger adaptations may be provided via Disabled Facilities Grants that will require you to undertake a financial assessment.

If you prefer not to have the equipment the council offers as standard, you have the option to have the cost of the equipment as a direct payment. You can then use the money from the direct payment towards alternative equipment provided the council agrees that the equipment meets your needs.


Equipment loans for a limited period

If you need to borrow equipment for a limited period, for example a wheelchair or commode for your temporary use, or for visitors, this can be arranged through the Red Cross. Some local retailers may also offer equipment on hire. The Independent Living Centre has wheelchairs for hire, on a daily or weekly basis.


Other useful contacts

Disabled Living Foundation
380 – 384 Harrow Road
W9 2HU
Telephone: 020 7289 6111
Disabled Living Foundation factsheets
Independent Living Centre
St George’s Road
BA14 6JQ
Telephone 01380 871007
Care and Repair - Aster Living
Sarsen Court
Horton Avenue
SN10 2AZ
Telephone 0333 400 8299
Red Cross
Bradbury House
Caxton Business Park
84 Tower Road North
BS30 8XP
Telephone 0117 301 2606


Further help and information

Wiltshire Council social care customer advisors can help you with a variety of problems, and can advise you in the choices and options available to you. For more information call 0300 4560111.

For additional information about the range of care services available in Wiltshire, please see the Wiltshire Care Services Directory 2015/16 available online at theCare Choices website.