What is Help to Live at Home?

If you would like a downloadable PDF of this page please click here (23/2/17 this page is being updated and the pdf will be changed shortly) PDF Website

What is help to live at homeThis page contains information to help you live at home safely and securely.

(Some blue hyperlinks may take you to an external website)


What help is available to make sure you can stay safely at home?

The Help to Live at Home service has been created by Wiltshire Council with the assistance of older people so that all people who need support can get the right help when they need it.

The service encourages people to be as independent as possible, with the aim of ensuring they can stay safe and secure in their own home and can continue to lead active and fulfilling lives.


Practical help with managing your home and your personal care

Two care companies have been chosen by the council and the NHS to provide care and support to older people and others who need some extra assistance to live independently in their own home. Each care company works in a different part of the county.

The companies have been selected because they provide excellent care and employ well trained, professional and caring staff. These companies are regularly inspected by the council and the Care Quality Commission (CQC), and have been found to provide consistently high standards of care.

These organisations are:

Mears and Somerset Care

Are you worried about:

  • Falling?
  • Remembering to take your medication?
  • Knowing who to contact in an emergency?

Equipment such as lifelines, pendant alarms, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors can help you to remain safe at home, 24 hours a day. This sort of equipment is called telecare or assistive technology.

The council and NHS Wiltshire have one company to provide this equipment across the county. This company is Medequip-UK.

Alongside this equipment service there is also a call centre, provided by Wiltshire Medical Services which provides out-of-hours GP service across the county.

If a telecare alarm is triggered, a member of staff from Wiltshire Medical Services will respond. They will first speak to the person that triggered the alarm, before contacting a local family member or friend, sending out a member of their staff, or sending an ambulance if one is required.

Wiltshire Medical Services
Tel: 01249 454000

Tel: 01249 815052

Practical equipment to help you remain independent

A variety of simple items are available that will help you live at home safely. These include a grab rail by your stairs, a walking aid or a ramp. More complex equipment is also available when needed including hoists or specialist beds and mattresses. Equipment such as these are provided by Medequip-UK on behalf of the council.

For some of the equipment, it is best to have an assessment by a qualified Occupational Therapist. This can be provided by Wiltshire Council. Other equipment can be provided following a meeting with an assessor such as those employed by Medequip-UK.

For further information on practical equipment please contact:

Wiltshire Council
Tel: 0300 456 0111

Tel: 01249 815052

Help and support with planning your care

The council can offer help and support to people looking into their care options, and an assessment can be arranged by calling 0300 456 0111.

For those who would like to make their own decisions about how they receive their care, direct payments are available from Wiltshire Council.

A direct payment is money paid directly to a customer by Wiltshire Council to help them retain their independence and wellbeing. The Wiltshire Centre for Independent Living (CIL) can help with managing a direct payment. Wiltshire CIL is a user-led group and a registered charity. It is committed to ensuring all people live independently as full citizens with choice, equal rights and equal opportunities.

Wiltshire CIL offers a range of support from extensive guidance on-line, email correspondence, workshops to hear from experienced customers, mentoring where someone can support a new customer joining a local support group or a visit from a Wiltshire CIL advisor If you are interested in the Wiltshire CIL Support Service please contact Wiltshire CIL or telephone 01380 725400.

Paying for care

A small number of people are eligible for financial support from the council. However, if you are thinking of purchasing care, you should ensure you get the right financial advice before you make any decisions.

A number of specialist organisations can provide this advice in Wiltshire, and are accredited by the Society of Later Life Advisors (SOLLA).

Two such companies working in Wiltshire are:

Towry, Bristol

Tel: 0844 8565 003


Eldercare Solutions
Tel: 0800 0821155

Success measures

The council monitors these organisations to ensure the support provided is of a high standard. However, an independent Customer Reference Group organised by Wiltshire and Swindon Users' Network are also on hand to ensure these companies are the best they can be.

Members of the Customer Reference Group have received training and are interested in discovering what people using the services think about the support provided.

If you are interested in joining the Customer Reference Group please contact:

Wiltshire and Swindon User’s Network (WSUN)
Tel: 01380 871800


If you are caring for someone

There are a number of things you can do to ensure that you get the support you need to help you in your caring role:

  • Obtain a copy of the ‘Carers Handbook’ which should be available from all acute hospitals, GP surgeries and libraries, a digital copy is available here, as well as from Carer Support Wiltshire direct
  • Contact Carer Support Wiltshire on 0800 181 41180 and register with their service. They will be able to advise you on what additional support is available as an unpaid carer
  • Tell your GP that you are an unpaid carer
  • Register onto the Carers Emergency Card scheme.  The scheme puts emergency provision in place should you be unable to continue caring for any reason.

How can the council help you?

We carry out an assessment so that we can decide how best to help you. We will look at what your needs are and how quickly we can attend to them. During the assessment we will talk to you about your needs, anything you are struggling with and what changes you would like to make to your life to ensure you can live as independently as possible.

We can also tell you if you are eligible for council funded services and if your needs can be met by existing services in your community, and/or by a package of social or health care.

You can self refer for an assessment using the Self Referral Form. It covers the things that you would also talk about in an assessment, so it might help you think about what you want from an assessment.

Find out more about the Help to Live at Home service

If you would like any further information on the Help to Live at Home service please contact:
0300 456 0111 or adviceandcontact@wiltshire.gov.uk

Alternatively we have produced several leaflets about the Help to Live at Home service:

Help to live at home

Going home

For additional information about the range of care services available in Wiltshire, please see the Wiltshire Care Services Directory available online at the Care Choices website.