Sheltered housing

If you would like a downloadable PDF of this page please click here PDF Website

row of housesThere is a range of accommodation options to consider from remaining in your own home and seeking additional support or adaptations to looking for a new home that is more suitable for meeting your needs:


Affordable rented housing

To access affordable rented housing provided by the council or Housing Associations in Wiltshire you will need to register with Homes4Wiltshire

If you are already a tenant of a Housing Association or the council you may be able to exchange your property with another tenant to find somewhere more suitable, for example;


Specialist housing

If you need more specialist housing you may be interested in sheltered housing:

Other options for accessing different accommodation might include finding private sector rented accommodation which Wiltshire Council provide information on here.

If you are working or have some savings you may be able to part-buy an affordable property. Details of shared ownership and low cost ownership properties and how to access them are available on the South West Help to Buy Agent’s website.


Adaptations to help you stay in your current home

If you need adaptations to help you stay in your current home, you may be eligible for a disabled facilities grant or home improvement loan. If you or someone living in your property is permanently disabled you may qualify for a disabled facilities grant towards the cost of providing adaptations and facilities to enable the disabled person to continue to live there.

Such grants are given by the council under Part I of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 and are means tested except in the case of adaptations for children. If you are interested in adaptations for a disabled child then please also refer to the children with disabilities information. There are strict eligibility criteria for disabled facilities grants.

  • Mandatory grants - include access into and around the property and the main rooms used by the disabled person, safety of the disabled person and adapting the heating and lighting controls.
  • Discretionary grants - In certain circumstances this provides a top up if the grant exceeds £30,000. Please email if you require further information about this.

Find out more information on grantshere.

Due to financial constraints, the council will not be taking any new enquiries for grants (except Disabled Facilities Grants) but will continue to accept loan enquiries. The loans being offered are subsidised to provide low cost finance with the current rate of interest of 4% fixed for the term of the loan. In some exceptional cases and subject to finances being available the council may consider providing a grant. Find out more information on these grants here or through Wessex Home Improvement Loans, a Community Development Finance Institution working with Wiltshire Council.


Housing for young people

Leaving home is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. The best time to leave home is when you:

  • Feel ready
  • Have support to move out
  • Have made a plan.

It’s not a good idea to rush into leaving home. Ideally, you should stay with your family until you can move out in a planned way.

If you are a young person and would like some more support with your housing, you may be able to get further help from here.


Are you homeless or threatened with homelessness?

Wiltshire Council will try and prevent homelessness whenever they can by trying to assist you to remain in your current property or find suitable, alternative accommodation in the private sector or through the Homes 4Wiltshire choice based lettings scheme. However, the Council may not be able to prevent you from losing your home and the housing options advisor will clearly explain the homelessness process to enable you to make an informed choice about the options available to you. If you choose to make a homelessness application, we will complete an assessment under the Housing Act 1996 Part 7 (amended by the Homelessness Act 2002).

The council does not have a duty to house every homeless person, but it does have a duty to provide advice and information to everyone who requires it. Click here to see five criteria that must be met in order for your application to be accepted and to be considered for alternative accommodation.

If you are at risk of homelessness there is advice and support that you may be able to access from: here.

Details of new affordable housing schemes that are being developed in Wiltshire can be found on the new housing pages of the council’s website.