Making a complaint about adult social care

If you would like a downloadable PDF of this page please click here PDF Website

Complaint formWiltshire Council is committed to listening to the view of customers and welcomes feedback whether positive or negative.

If you want to complain about the way that you been treated or any part of your care service, please tell us. This will give us an opportunity to try and put things right. You can complain about any of the following:

  • the service you are receiving;
  • the way you have been treated;
  • staff being discourteous;
  • a lack of privacy; or
  • being given wrong advice;
  • but there may be other reasons you are unhappy.


Who can complain?

Anyone who receives a service from adult social services or has applied to use a service. If you want someone else, for example a friend, relative or representative, to complain to us on your behalf, we will work with them to resolve your complaint. However, we will always need to have evidence that you have given your permission for someone else to complain on your behalf. We can also provide you with information about independent advocacy services that could give you advice and support.


How to complain

You can contact your worker or the team you are working with, or if you prefer you can contact the customer complaints team. You can complain to the customer complaints team: through our online complaint form; by email -; by phone - 01225 718400; write to us at: Customer Complaints Team, Wiltshire Council, County Hall, Bythesea Road, Trowbridge, BA14 8JN. If you need support in making a complaint we will arrange this for you.


How will you deal with my complaint?

When you contact us we will acknowledge your complaint within two working days. Contact you to agree an appropriate timescale to work with you to find a solution. Talk to you to try and decide the best way to get things put right.A lot of the time a complaint can be sorted out by talking informally with the person providing you with the service. We want to resolve your issues at the earliest opportunity. We do this by working closely with you, to put things right and make changes for the future.

  • If we can agree a resolution immediately we will
  • We will agree a timescale with you to carry out any investigations
  • If we need to share any information about your complaint, we will ask your permission first
  • We will support your individual communication needs.


The Local Government Ombudsman (LGO)

If you have gone through the complaint process and are not satisfied with the final decision, you can take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. The LGO is independent and the service is free and confidential. However, the Ombudsman will not normally investigate your complaint until the council has had the opportunity to fully investigate it.


How to make a complaint about a service provider

If you are unhappy with any aspect of a service you are receiving from a care and support provider either funded by yourself or the Council you should contact that service provider to discuss concerns. Hopefully the service provider will be able to work with you to improve the situation and will have its own complaints procedures that they will follow. If you are still unhappy with the service you should contact Wiltshire Council on 0300 456 0111 or

You might also like to raise your concerns with the Care Quality Commission (CQC)

The CQC are the national organisation that regulates care and support providers in England.


Care Quality concerns

All providers of health and social care in England are required by law to meet government standards of quality and safety. It is the Care Quality Commission's job to check that providers continue to meet these standards, and take action if standards are not being met. Whilst they do not investigate individual complaints they do collect information about providers of care.


Further advice and useful contacts

We have put together a list of organisations that might be able to help you by providing further advice and support, depending on the nature of your complaint. If you are unsure who to speak to or want some general advice, please contact the customer complaints team.


Your behaviour whilst making a complaint

We understand that making a complaint can be a result of a stressful and distressing event or situation and we will do everything we can to support you through the complaint but we will not tolerate unreasonable, aggressive or abusive behaviour. If an individual displays an unreasonable persistence in making a complaint or repeating issues when a response has been provided we will consider taking further action by applying the vexatious procedure. Click here to find out more about how we expect you to behave.


If you have any queries about complaints please contact us. Telephone: 01225 718400

Reviewed 23rd May 2018 - Updated