Parent carers

This section contains the following information for parent carers:

People often think of parent carers as those who look after physically disabled children but being a parent carer is far wider than that. Your child may have autism, have a hearing impairment, have learning difficulties or complex health needs; the list is endless. Essentially, if your child requires more care from you than other children of the same age would and they are likely to need you to care for them for the rest of their lives, you are probably a parent carer.


The Local Offer

The Local Offer brings together, in one place, all the information about education, health and social care services on offer for children and young people from birth to 25 who have special educational needs or disabilities. You can find more, including information on the new Wiltshire Council SEND 0-25 service, on the Local Offer webpage. You can also contact the SEND 0-25 service on 01225 757985.


Who will complete the carers assessment with you?

A trained Professional from Carers Support Wiltshire will contact you to discuss your needs. They can help in discussing appropriate advice and/or services for you and the person you care for.


Wiltshire Parent Carer Council

The Wiltshire Parent Carer Council (WPCC) is a consultation and participation service for parent carers that works alongside Wiltshire Council, the NHS, and other services, to help shape better services for young people, aged 0-25 years with special education needs (SEN) and/ or disabilities. The WPCC launched its Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Service (SENDIS) in February 2013. This is a ‘one-stop’ shop which offers a wealth of information as well as signposting users to specialist services which support families raising a child with SEN and/or disabilities. SENDIS shares information and advice through its helpline, emails, the WPCC website, newsletters, bulletins, social media, and organised events covering a wide range of topics such as Health, Short Breaks, Social Care, Education, Preparing for Adulthood, and much more. We also send information about events and training to parents, carers and professionals from other agencies. You can find more information on the WPCC website or you can contact them by emailing or telephoning them on 01225 764647.


Wiltshire Independent Support and Advice (WISA)

The Parent Partnership Service in Wiltshire is provided by KIDS. It supports parents and carers with free, impartial advice and information about their child’s SEN and/or disabilities. You can find more information on the Wiltshire Independent Support and Advice webpage


Carer Support Wiltshire

You can talk to Carer Support Wiltshire in confidence and they can help you ensure that you are able to access the support that you need.


You can find further information on these webpages: