Residential Care for adults with Learning Disabilities

If you would like a downloadable PDF of this page please click here PDF Website

Young man with a learning disability playing a gameThis page contains information on residential care options for people with learning disabilities.

What is Residential Care?

Residential care is one option if you are assessed as needing care and support. Care homes will vary in size but provide a safe, secure setting with 24 hour staffing support. People that stay in residential care have their own bedrooms but may share some other rooms like the living room.

Living in a Residential Care Home can help you to live with (and make friends with) other adults with learning disabilities, if you would like to do this. Family and friends can visit when you would like them to and staff can help you to visit them.

The Care Quality Commission website defines Residential Care as;

A care home is a place where personal care and accommodation are provided together. People may live in the service for short or long periods. For many people, it is their sole place of residence and so it becomes their home, although they do not legally own or rent it. Both the care that people receive and the premises are regulated.

You may have a choice about services and activities you go to. Staff can support you to do things with other people in the community. There are many Residential Homes that you can choose to live in. Residential care homes will always be regulated by the Care Quality Commission.

Who can live in Residential Care?

You will have a key worker who will get to know your needs. They will help to write a plan that will help other people to understand your needs

This plan will include things like:

  • What you like
  • What you don’t like
  • What you do in your days and nights
  • What physical help you need. This could be help to get up in the morning or go to bed at night, help in getting washed, using the toilet and getting dressed

We can offer advice and information to everyone but we are currently focusing our support on people who have critical or substantial needs.

The substantial, moderate and low bands describe the level of need required and how this need affect a person's independence.

The critical band describes situations when a person's independence is most at risk. In these situations there are vital needs, which must be met if a person is to live safely and independently.

Eligibility criteria only apply to social care needs and services. These services may include personal care, day care, residential care, aids and equipment or a Direct Payment in lieu of a service directly commissioned by the council.

What does Residential Care look like?

Residential Care Homes can vary in size. They can be new, modern buildings or older properties. A care home is a comfortable and safe place to live. Families and carers will know that you are in a safe place. Your bedroom will belong to you and you will be given privacy and be treated fairly and with respect.

Living in a care home can help you to live with (and make friends with) other adults with disabilities if you would like to do this. Staff are there all day and all night to give you help and support with emotional, physical and social needs.

You may have a choice about the services and activities you go to and staff will support you to do things with other people in the community.

In Residential Care;

  • The provider and their staff tend to decide the rules
  • You have no rights to remain in that property as other people (care managers, providers) can decide you have to move at short notice
  • Others decide who can enter the property
  • Others decide who moves into vacancies in the property
  • Most of your benefits will go to meet service costs and you will be left with a small amount of “pocket money”
  • The support you receive is not just for you, it is for the whole service

Who will make sure the appropriate support is in place?

The local Authority has a duty to provide some people with support. You need to have an assessment of your care and support needs to assess whether you are eligible to receive a service. If needs are identified a support plan will be put together with a Care Manager to meet those needs.

You can contact us to request an assessment or someone can request one on your behalf. A care manager will talk to you about what support you may need. If it is agreed that a residential care home is the best place for you to live, the worker will talk to you about where you want to live and how this will be paid for.

Your social worker or SEND Lead worker will help establish if you are eligible for Wiltshire Council funded care and support.

Further information

For further information, or to find out if you are eligible or an assessment, please talk to the Advice and Contact Team

Contact Info updated 21st May 2018