Assessment of need

If you would like a downloadable PDF of this page please click here PDF Website

Follow this link to an Easy Read Leaflet about Assessment of Need in Wiltshire

Assessment of NeedIf you feel that you or someone you care for needs a social care assessment you should contact one of our customer advisors on 0300 456 0111 to arrange an assessment of need.


What is an assessment of need?

In order for us to understand how we can help you, we carry out an assessment to decide what your needs are and how quickly we should attend to them. During the assessment we will talk to you about your needs, anything you are struggling with and what changes you would like to make which would enable you to live as independently as possible.

We can also tell you if you are eligible for council funded services and if your needs can be met by existing services in your community and/or by a package of social or health care.


Who can ask for an assessment of need?

Anyone can ask for an assessment of their needs. You may be referred to us by your GP, a family member, another NHS professional or other person acting on your behalf - or you can self-refer.

Carers also have a right to an assessment of their own needs.

Can I contact you for advice on the options available to me?

Our customer advisors are able to assist you with advice and information and signpost you to existing community services provided by all kinds of organisations. You can then decide on the best course of action in your particular situation.


How is an assessment arranged?

If an assessment of need is required, we will take a note of your details and pass them on to one of our customer advisors. They will contact you and ask if you would like to complete a simple self-assessment form (sent through the post and returned to the team) to establish if you might require a full assessment of your care needs, or make arrangements to visit you at home to carry out the assessment. Sometimes the advisor will arrange for a specialist professional member of staff to carry out the assessment with you – this could be a social worker or an occupational therapist.

Whichever course of action is taken, you are assured that our Department of Community Services staff will:

  • Listen to your views and, if you wish them to be involved, the views of your carer, so that we understand your situation and care needs
  • Compare your needs with our eligibility criteria
  • Decide if you are eligible for our assistance
  • Carry out a full assessment
  • Send you a copy of that assessment
  • Where appropriate, ensure that we support you to get the right kind of service to meet your needs.

Our assessment processes will ensure that you will not be discriminated against on the grounds of age, gender, ethnic group, race, religion or disability or sexual orientation.


Contact us

For further information please talk to the Advice and Contact Team

Monday – Thursday - 8:30am - 5:20pm
Friday - 8:30am - 4:20pm

If you need urgent help outside of these hours, you can call the Emergency Adult and Child Social Care Service on 0300 456 0100

This fact sheet can be produced, on request, in other formats and languages. Please phone 0300 456 0111, by textphone 01225 712500, or email

Reviewed 23rd February 2018; Updated 23rd February 2018.