Carers assessments

If you would like a downloadable PDF of this page please click here PDF Website

Young disabled man in wheelchair and carerThis section contains the following information on completing a carers assessment:

What is a carers assessment?

All carers can ask for a carers assessment. A carers assessment is an opportunity to:

  • Talk and reflect on your own needs as a carer
  • Share your experience of caring and to recognise your role as a carer
  • Be given information and advice
  • Identify and discuss any difficulties you may have
  • Make contingency plans if you are ill or cannot continue in your caring role.

It is your choice whether you have a separate assessment of your needs or a joint assessment with the person you care for.

How can I get a carers assessment?

There are a number of ways that you can get a carers assessment. You can contact Carer Support Wiltshire on 0800 181 4118 and explain that you would like to have a carers assessment or if you prefer you can complete a self-referral by clicking the following link Self-Referral. If the person you look after is currently having an assessment, you can also speak to their care manager and ask for an assessment of your own needs.

Who will complete the carers assessment with you?

A specialist trained support worker from Carer Support Wiltshire will complete an assessment of carers needs with you; they can discuss appropriate advice and/or services for you and the person you care for. The support worker may visit you at home, or complete the assessment over the telephone. You can choose to fill in an assessment yourself first and then speak to a support worker afterwards.

Assessments for parent carers

If you are a parent carer then the process for assessment is slightly different. You can get more information on how to get an assessment of your needs and the needs of your family by contacting the Wiltshire Parent Carer Council on 01225 764647 or by email at If your child has a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND) you can also contact the SEND 0-25 service on 01225 757985 to request a family assessment. In addition you can also request an individual assessment of your needs form Carer Support Wiltshire should you prefer to do this. You can find more information on the help and support available to you on the parent carers page.

Assessments for young carers

You can find more information on the help and support available to you, including how to get an assessment, on our young carers page.

Page updated 3rd April 2018.