Residential and Nursing Home Fees


People Managing moneyIf you are considering moving into a care home and think that you need help with paying for your place there, you must first ask the council's adult social care services to assess your needs. You can do this by contacting them on (0300 456 0111) or find out more about criteria below:

If you qualify for residential or nursing care, we will carry out a financial assessment. The financial assessment is used to decide who will pay for the care. Generally this will be either the person themselves, the local authority, or a combination of both. The financial assessment tends to involve the person or their carer completing some forms that ask questions about their finances. Someone may also visit the person to ask questions about their finances and fill in the forms on their behalf.



Any income you receive, for example retirement pension, employment support allowance, superannuation pensions, etc will have to be contributed towards your care. You will retain a personal allowance from your weekly allowance, presently £24.90. If you receive savings credit as part of your pension credit, up to £5.75 per week, this can be disregarded from the financial assessment. 

Savings and capital

If you have savings/capital of between £14,250 and £23,250, you will be expected to contribute £1.00 per week for each £250.00 between the above amounts, e.g. £15,000 savings = £3.00 per week towards your care. This is known as a tariff income.  If you have savings capital of £14,250 or below, this is ignored from the financial assessment.

Short term and respite care

Respite care is defined as “a period of care where the date of discharge has been fixed prior to the date of the client’s admission to residential accommodation. The period of care must not exceed eight weeks.” Respite care should not be confused with placements arranged for a “trial” where, if all goes well, the resident will remain in the residential accommodation and will not leave. If you have less than £23,250 we do not routinely undertake a financial assessment, but would apply the following standard charges for respite care.

If you are only going into a care home for a short or temporary period of up to 8 weeks this is called Respite care. If your savings/capital excluding your home is less than £23,250.00, the council will apply your assessed contribution for your care at home.

Charges for respite depend on your individually assessed contribution.

If you are a temporary resident because your period of stay cannot be determined at the start or it is going to be longer than 8 weeks, a financial assessment will be undertaken.

Further help and information

Whatever your financial situation, Wiltshire Council social care customer advisors are there to help you to discuss your circumstances and consider the choices you can make. For more information about the range of care services available in Wiltshire, see the Wiltshire Care Services Directory 2016/17 available online at the Care Choices website.