Blue Badges - Easy Read

Download this page as a PDF
PDF icon   If you would like to download this page to print out click here.
Blue Badges
Blue Badge   What is a Blue Badge?
Person getting into a car   A Blue Badge is for people who have severe difficulties walking and getting about
Disabled Parking Bays   A Blue Badge lets disabled people who drive or who are passengers, park close to the shops or other places.
Parking Meter   People who have difficulty using their arms and cannot use parking meters and people who are registered blind can also apply to have a Blue Badge.
Double Yellow Lines   A Blue Badge holder can park for free, for up to three hours on single and double yellow lines on most streets.
Parking Sign   Blue Badge holders may be able to park for free in some car parks.
Person getting an assessment   You may need to be assessed to get a Blue Badge.
£10 note   There is a charge of £10 for a Blue Badge.
Blue badge on display   The Blue Badge should be put on the car dashboard so that it is easily seen. The end date should be facing up. The photograph of the person should not be showing.
Qualifying for a Blue Badge
Blue Badge   You will automatically be awarded a Blue Badge if you:
Booklet   Receive the higher rate of mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance,
Booklet   Have 8 points or more in the 'moving around' section of Personal Independence Payment
Booklet   You receive an extra payment for mobility with your War Pension.
Man with a guide dog   You are Registered Blind with your local authority
Men in military Clothing   You have received payment from the Armed Forces as compensation and have a permanent disability which makes walking difficult or impossible.
child in wheelchair   You may also be able to get A Blue Badge if you:
Are over three years old and have a permanent and major disability, which means you are unable to walk or have a lot of difficulty in walking.
child in wheelchair   Are applying for a child under three who has a condition that means they need big medical equipment with them or need to be able to get home or to hospital quickly.
accessible van   Are an organisation responsible for the care and transport of people in registered disabled passenger vehicles or adapted vehicles.
Telephone   Please telephone the Blue Badge team on 01225 713002 if you need further advice on your application.
Applying for or Renewing a Blue Badge Website   You can apply for or renew a Blue Badge online through GOV.UK
Application form   Complete the online request form and we will post a full application pack to you
Telephone   Or call the Blue Badge team on 01225 713002 for an application pack.
  We are open 9.00am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
Application Form   You can apply online or by post.
When you send us your application we will also ask you to send us:
Certificate   Proof of who you are – a copy of your birth or adoption certificate, marriage or divorce certificate, or valid driving licence or passport.
Paper utility bill   Proof of your address. You can give us permission to check Council Tax or the Electoral Register or send us a benefit award letter
Person with a benefits letter   Copies of any other documents and evidence we need to support your application. This will usually be a benefit award letter or a medical letter about your disability.
Passport and photos   A colour passport photo with your name and postcode on the back.
Cheque   A cheque or postal order for £10 made payable to Wiltshire Council for your badge.
If you cannot have a blue badge this will be sent back to you.
Laptop   You will find a list of all the documents you need to post to us when you apply online.
Application Pack   Or in the guidance notes in the application pack.
Postal Mail   Post your form and all the supporting documents to:
Blue Badge Team
Customer Services
Wiltshire Council
County Hall
BA14 8JN
Blue Badge   We will try to get your Blue Badge to you within 28 working days.
Renewing your badge
Calenders   You will need to renew your Blue Badge every three years. You will get a reminder letter one month before your old badge runs out. If you have changed your address within the last three years, please tell us. If you use a badge that has run out you will get in trouble and may be fined.
Application form   When you renew your Blue Badge you will need to complete another form, You will need to send us your supporting documents and photos again.
Struck out blue badge   If you do not want another Blue Badge when it runs out, you do not need to do anything.
Applying on behalf of another person
Person being helped with application form   You can complete an application form for another person such as a parent, partner or other relative and you may sign the application for them.
Person expecting to recieve a Blue Badge   The application should always be in the name of the disabled person. It will be their Badge to use in any vehicle they are travelling in, so we need their details, photograph and documents.
It is the same if you are applying for a Badge for your child.
Lost, stolen or damaged Blue Badges
Lost Blue Badge   If your badge has been lost please contact the Blue Badge team for a new one.
Policeman   If your badge has been stolen, please tell the Police who will give you a crime reference number.
You can then ask for a replacement Blue Badge.
Cheque   Replacement badges are only given for the length of time the first badge was for. You will have to pay £10 for the replacement badge.
Email   Email-
Telephone   Or telephone us on 01225 713002
Change the details on your Blue Badge
People Moving House   If you move house, or change your phone number or your email address please let us know so we can change our records.
Map of England highlighting East of England   You can still use your Blue Badge if you move to another part of the country.
You will need to tell your new local council your address so your details can be changed. When your Badge runs out you will need to apply to your new local council.
Sample Certificate   To tell us about your change of name and ask for a new badge, you will need to show us a copy of your marriage certificate, divorce certificate or deed poll document. This is proof of your name change.
£10 note   And you will have to pay £10 for a replacement.
Telephone   Telephone 01225 713002